Summer Pasta with Sausage by Luke Smithson
Recipe by Luke Smithson, Executive Chef, Jamie Hollander Gourmet Foods & Catering, demoed on July 6, 2019!
4 oz loose Italian sausage, Purely Farms
1 bell pepper of sweet frying peppers, diced
1 head broccoli, broccoli rabe or 1 zucchini or yellow squash, chopped
1 1/2 T. garlic or garlic scapes
1 lb. fresh pasta, The Pasta Lab
4 oz. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh herbs, chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Saute the sausage until fully cooked. Remove from pan and reserve; reserve sausage fat from cooking.
2. Cook vegetables in sausage fat until almost fully cooked, then return cooked sausage in pan
3. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Remove pan from heat.
4. Cook fresh pasta in salted water until al dente, 2-3 minutes. Reserve 1/2 c. of pasta cooking water. Remove pasta from water/drain in colander. Add the pasta and 1/2 c. cooking water to the pan of vegetables and garlic
5. Cook over high heat until pasta water nearly evaporates, then drizzle in olive oil and add fresh herbs.
6. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, then serve hot.